Monday, January 26, 2009

Very Superstitious!

I watched 'I,Robot' again last night,and the one thing that stuck with me all night and morning since then,was the song 'Superstition' by Stevie Wonder.I love that song,its just so old school cool,and makes me feel like going to a bar and play pool or something.Couldn't do that unfortunately,since it was Sunday night and I have to be up early in the morning.Damn grown up responsibilities.

The weekend was not good at all.And I mean,at all.JC and I fought basically the whole weekend,and not even about important things,but about the most stupid,insignificant little things.On Saturday morning,while the lifesaver (the cleaning lady) was fixing up our apartment,I decided to go visit my mom,so she suggested we go put some flowers on my dads' grave.We weren't even at the graveyard very long,but going there always makes me more upset than I realise,until something stupid triggers me later on,and then the tears sort of come by themselves.

Saturday evening my sister and her boyfriend came to have a few drinks with us,and it was kind of nice to just relax a bit,although I was quite tense the whole time because JC was in such a bad mood.But after they left,we started making out (probably the drinks talking) and while we were kissing,'Goodbye My Lover' by James Blunt started playing.This song is really emotional for me to listen to,don't know why,but I started crying,and just couldn't stop.JC was really concerned about why I couldn't stop crying,and we started talking the fights and everything.As usual,I had overreacted,but I think that he saw then how little it takes for me to feel threatened and sad.He tends to think that everyone is just as strong,emotionally,as he is.Unfortunately,I'm not,and small things can upset me so badly that I get really depressed over them.



But enough of all that really sad stuff,I'm hoping February (my birthday month) will be a much better month,and that I'll get some good prezzies (here's hoping!).Either way,after getting Superstition,the song,stuck in my mind,I started thinking about superstitions,and how strange some are.Even people who don't believe in the supernatural and strange things like that,most likely have some kind of superstition.

I have plenty,and these are some of the ones I believe:
*Knock wood (to keep something bad you said from coming true)
*To drop a fork means a man is coming to visit.
*To break a mirror means 7 years bad luck.
*It is bad luck to see an owl in the sunlight (I haven't seen many owls in my life,but every time I've seen one,someone I knew died soon after)
*If you leave a rocking chair rocking when empty, it invites evil spirits to come into your house to sit in the rocking chair (I hate rocking chairs,after seeing a horror movie when I was a kid,where the ghost would always sit in the rocking chair.So they creep me out to this day)
*Two people pull apart the dried breastbone of a chicken or turkey until it cracks and breaks, each one making a wish while doing so. The person who gets the long half of the wishbone will have his or her wish come true.



Some of the superstitions might sound really crazy,but it is also quite interesting to learn where they came from in the first place.

What superstitions do you have?

1 Comment:

drollgirl said...

i love that stevie song. he is just so great. most of his songs will put me in the best mood!

p.s. hope you are feeling all better!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin